Corporate Social Responsibility is a business methodology deployed by companies and organizations to help create long-term shareholder value by embracing opportunities and managing risks deriving from economic, environmental and social developments. Nordion recognizes that the balanced pursuit of societal goals, specifically those relating to sustainable development — environmental protection, social justice and equity, and economic development — is an integral part of corporate growth and profitability.
Nordion is guided by the Company's Core Purpose of making a distinctive contribution to the health and well-being of people. The Company's innovative products and services help our customers to advance drug discovery and development, and the diagnosis and treatment of disease, thereby assisting them in their efforts to fight disease and save lives.
Nordion is a leader in protecting the health and safety of our employees, our community, and the environment. Our operations continually exceed the standards set by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC). In 2005, we received an unprecedented ten-year license renewal from the CNSC for our facilities in Ottawa - a testament to our demonstrated standards of performance.
Our Environmental, Health, and Safety (EH&S) program includes key elements, such as:
- Implementing measures in the design and operation of all of our facilities to keep radiation dose received by workers and the public ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable)
- Implementing an ISO 14001-based environmental management (EMS) system at our Ottawa site
- Establishing EH&S objectives and targets annually to continually improve our performance
- Maintaining - and building on - a comprehensive training program for employees and contractors
- Engraining EH&S excellence into the Nordion culture
- Investing in a world class approach to EH&S