Training: Radiation Safety Officer – Industrial and Research Irradiator
The Radiation Safety Officer course is a comprehensive program for organizations with either an industrial or research irradiator.
- To prepare participants to qualify as Radiation Safety Officers (RSO) for full-scale, gamma irradiation facilities. Local regulations should be consulted for Radiation Safety Officer requirements.
- To prepare participants to qualify as Radiation Safety Officers in organizations using self-shielded (Gammacell-type) research irradiators. Consult local requirements for Radiation Safety Officer training.
- This course is intended for individuals designated to become Radiation Safety Officers in organizations using or intending to purchase an industrial irradiator. Prerequisites: Radiation Safety in Industrial Irradiations Operations courses or equivalent.
- This course is intended for individuals designated to become Radiation Safety Officers for self-shielded research irradiators.
Frequency and Duration
This five-day course is offered once to twice a year. Additional courses can be scheduled for groups of five or more. This course can also be delivered at other locations if an industrial irradiator or self-shielded irradiator is available.
Content: Industrial Irradiator
- Review of radiation fundamentals
- Biological effects
- Radiation detection
- Use of radiation detectors, calibration of instruments, survey techniques and actual surveys
- Shielding calculations and practical exercises
- Functions and responsibilities of the Radiation Safety Officer
- Cobalt 60
- Receiving and source loading
- Personnel dosimetry and visitor procedures
- Record keeping
- Emergency planning and organization
- The "Walk Through Inspection"
- Audit of radiation safety and operational procedures and systems
Content: Research Irradiator
- Radioactivity: What it is, how it occurs, characteristics, units of measure
- Radiation Effects: Biological, materials, low and high doses
- Radiation Shielding: Absorption, protection methods, shielding calculations
- Administrative Controls: Record keeping, incident reporting, emergency procedures
- Monitoring and Measurement: Instruments, calibration and operation, survey techniques, personnel and facility monitoring
- Irradiator Design: Safety principles, safety systems, source production, transportation and use. Hands-on experience using appropriate self-shielded irradiators
- Dosimetry: Methods and procedures overview
- Duties, function and responsibilities of the Radiation Safety Officer
Access our state-of-the-art facility for precision and scale, uniformity, and world-class expertise in dosimetry, calibration and precise dose delivery of gamma.
Come to our first-class physicists and chemists with a challenging material, and you’ll walk away with a process that allows for gamma sterilization.
Leverage the gamma experts at one of the world’s most sophisticated gamma processing facilities and receive high-value hands-on irradiator training experience.More